samedi 8 juin 2013

little trash bags of accomplishment

Prologue:What I do, what I did, and what you do matters. It does. If all I ever did was feed, change, hold and burp a baby but I did it with love, it would be far more than enough. I know that. This is not about that bigger picture. This is about surviving the day in and day out with a tangible sense of accomplishment. I struggle with it.You know that feeling of frustration when you have something you should or want to be doing but you find yourself negotiating with a fussy baby instead?I find that not having anything else to do eliminates that frustration.I mean, sure, there are things to do, but as long as I tell myself I’m not going to do any of them I am free! Right?Unfortunately, no. Somehow evening always comes and after a day like that there’s this sneaking feeling in my heart of dissatisfaction. I remember that feeling from the first months with OBoy when I went from completing extensive itemized and prioritized task lists every day in the workforce to feeding, changing, holding and burping a baby.Whoop dee doop.When I told my mother-in-law (who is also a friend) about this feeling, she gave me some absolutely wonderful advice. As a new mom who also had two little boys in less than two years, she said she made it a point to “accomplish one thing everyday that [she] wouldn’t have to do again tomorrow.”I love this. I put it into action with OBoy, but honestly it had slipped my mind lately…until this week.Out of a burning desire to de-clutter (WE’RE 25. HOW DO WE HAVE SO MUCH STUFF?!) but a desperate lack of time, I took a trash bag – just one trash bag -into our closet and filled it with clothes to donate. (See also: two kids in two years) It was incredible. Just like that I started a task and completed it. I put the bag in the trunk of the car to donate when I had time. And what do you know, the next day came and I had time!**time being defined as: Already had everyone packed in the car out running errands, and our Goodwill has a drive up donation door so I didn’t have to do an extra two-child carseat hustle.In two short days I packed up and donated a whole bag of clothing, and that was in addition to feeding, changing, holding, burping, changing, dressing, playing, bathing, doing toddler things…It felt so good! So good that I have every intention of de-cluttering all of the closets and forgotten storage spaces in our house – one trash bag at a time.{{Have you found something that helps you feel accomplished amidst the daily grind of motherhood? I’d love to hear about it.}}

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire